Monday, August 22, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial

When I first visited Washington D.C. I went as part of a history/government trip and I was certainly (still am) a history geek. We had tours of all the major memorials and monuments, I was pretty amped. My favorite monument/memorial was the FDR Memorial, he was my favorite president (this guy has over taken him). My second favorite memorial was the Lincoln and not why you may have thought. I stood on the spot that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave the "I Have a Dream Speech." (I def wrote about this before lol). It was a powerful moment for me. I realized that the engraving on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial was not enough for Dr. King...he deserved his own monument/memorial.

When I got to Morehouse this feeling intensified as I walked the campus, his campus. (Talked about this also in that previous post lol). While there I found out that a memorial was in the works. For the past month or so I've been getting emails daily counting down to the opening of the memorial and the "Official" unveiling and dedication. The unveiling and dedication isn't until this weekend, but the memorial opened today


It's beautiful. 

The next time I'm in DC I'll go to it, take a picture, cry, reflect, give thanks and come away with a new favorite monument.

#Respect to the King

No comments: